CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Pages

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Herbed Dumplings

I decided the other night that I wanted chicken for supper and all that I had in the freezer was whole chickens (my BIL raises them so I don’t buy breasts etc very often). So, I pulled one out, put it in my big stockpot with lots of water and spices and simmered it until thawed and basically cooked. Took it out, let it cool, cut it up and baked it with thyme and olive oil until the skin was nice and crispy. I strained the broth, thickened it like gravy and made these dumplings to go with it…very tasty and something I won’t be having for a while, until some of this weight is off. Today’s lunch was stir-fried onions, mushrooms, and broccoli with grilled chicken. Tonight is…grilled chicken with salad. I see a chicken theme emerging here. I can have other meats such as beef and pork but only three times a week and not two days in a row and we had hamburger last night at my parents so nothing but chicken or tuna for supper tonight. Herbed Dumplings From: Allrecipes.com Submitted by: RONNASTEFAN Prep Time: 5 MinutesCook Time: 15 Minutes Ready In: 20 MinutesYields: 6 servings "Savory dumplings for beef or chicken stew." INGREDIENTS: 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon baking soda 2 teaspoons baking powder 1 teaspoon dried thyme 1 teaspoon dried parsley 1 teaspoon dried oregano 3 tablespoons butter 3/4 cup milk DIRECTIONS: In a bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, thyme, parsley, and oregano. Cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add milk, using just enough to form a thick batter. Drop by rounded tablespoons into your simmering soup or stew, cover, and allow to cook for 15 minutes. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2005 Allrecipes.com

* * * * *
Sorry, these photos are of the leftovers...already in their container ready for the fridge!

1 comments:

Schokti said...

Oh, yum. Looks delicious. It is official - your house is definately a stopping point when I visit!