CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Pages

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Favourite Fall Recipe - Cabbage Casserole

Cold dreary days always call for something warm and comforting.  This is one of my all time favourite dishes and was always what I asked for when my Mom asked me "what do you want for supper?" as a kid (and even now).  I just wish my kids liked it.  I still make it and they end up eating the meat mixture but they don't seem to have acquired a taste for cabbage.  Which just means there is more for me.

Cabbage Casserole

1 pound ground beef (I've used ground moose, turkey, chicken and they have all turned out good)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
salt & pepper, to taste
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 can tomato soup (I use my own tomato sauce, 1 cup sauce plus 1 tbsp sugar and 1 tbsp corn starch - whisk until thickened)
1 cup water
1/2 cup minute rice (or 3/4 cup cold cooked, or Minute brown rice works as well)
3 cups chopped cabbage

Brown ground meat and onion.  Drain off fat.  Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, soup (or sauce) and water.  Mix well.  Stir in rice and simmer 5 minutes.  Place chopped cabbage in bottom of a greased casserole dish and add meat mixture to top. Cover and bake for approximately 90 minutes at 325 degrees.


I stole the photo (well, it isn't really stealing if I tag it is it?) from Sheena at Hot Eats and Cool Reads.  Her recipe is here: Cabbage Roll Casserole which is slightly different but look really good!

2 comments:

Bonnie Brown said...

looks yummy

Lianne said...

I make almost the same thing throughout the Winter. I love it, so warm, filling and comforting. Just the kind of food for a cold day. You are definitely giving me ideas ;-)))

Maybe dinner on Sunday will involve some cabbage and ground beef....