CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Pages

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Married to a hunter

When I signed up for NaBloPoMo2013, I started a quick list of "things I could write about" for a the day that came and I couldn't think of anything off the top of my head.  Well, today is one of those days.

I'm married to a moose hunter (deer, ducks, geese, partridge and fish are not safe either) and there are times that I get into heated debates with family but mostly very opinionated friends.  Comments like "how can you eat that" and "how could you eat something that your husband killed" come to mind.  Well, here is my take on "hunted" vs "bought" meat.

I prefer anything that my husband has "acquired" on one of his walks in nature (or boat on the lake) over the caged, over packaged meats in the store.  Think about it for a moment, yes it seems cruel for him to be out hunting something in the wild but our meat has been eating what nature provides for them.  As long as what they are eating is fresh and healthy, they are as well.  No "modified feed" or water that has been purified or chlorinated. We also try to buy as local as possible and raise chicken with my husbands family, as well as turkey's every couple of years.  We order a quarter of a beef from the local butchers once a year and then depend on what the hunter gets. 

This year, my husband got a moose.  I had forgotten how big they are and we had to do the freezer tetris to make it all fit.  But we will have enough to get through until fishing opens early summer.

Let the debate begin!



1 comments:

Von said...

No debate here! You're a lucky woman to have a husband who enjoys hunting. My DH grew up in a hunting family, but he just doesn't enjoy it and seems to jinx the expedition, lol. We have benefited from those trips though, and moose is my favorite! Enjoy!