CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Pages

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

A update before holidays

So, starting on Thursday of this week (July 27th) my family will have our friends visiting from England until the 12th of August, meaning I won't be online much or updating my blog as often as I had hoped to do when I started it! That said, this post will have no pictures...sorry but I will let you know what is happening at the moment and I even have a recipe to add at the bottom! Grandpa is doing good. He went on Thursday for an update from the doctor that looked after him in the hospital. It seems that he has a 40% blockage in one of his neck veins but they don't do any treatment other than an aspirin a day until there is at least a 50% blockage. So, he will start going every 6 months to be checked and hopefully they can correct this at the 50% mark before he has another stroke. And on a fun note, he and my grandmother celebrated their 56th wedding anniversary on July 21st! I gotta get a picture of them to post here, they are the cutest little old couple EVER! I'm not biased or anything. The boys are both doing good, Cameron is still driving me mad. He is having a problem with listening and obeying at the moment and I was talking to a friend of my Mom's about it and I liked what she told me, this is how she raised three girls (the oldest is my BF getting married in October)...mean what you say, say what you mean and follow thru. So I started yesterday, I was good at threatening something (taking a toy away, making him stand in the corner, turning the tv off) but I didn't always follow thru, not anymore, I'm the mean Mommy that did all three of those things yesterday and after the tv got turned off in the middle of his favourite show he started to pay a little more attention to what I was asking him! So today is a new day and he isn't out of bed yet so we will see how things go. Caleb is still being a wonderful little guy, sleeping thru the night and nursing every three to four hours during the day. I've even gotten brave and dug the cloth diapers out of storage in the basement and been putting them on him during the day...so far so good! Just a little more work as I have to remember to change him a little more often and that the load of diapers has to be washed separately and takes a little longer as I have to rinse them twice. I'm still stitching away on the Wedding Blessing but I have also picked up a baby one for a friend that I'm working on as well...maybe before Thursday I will find time to take some photos of my stitching to post before all H#LL breaks lose for two + weeks! And for anyone interested, I've planned another SAL for August 13th...the day after my company leaves but I will need an excuse to sit and stitch for the day so come one, come all! And last but not least, here is the recipe I made when Christine (of Coffee Cup Thoughts) and her girls came for the SAL on July 16th. It was really good, Cameron wasn't so happy with it but I think the combination of being tired and this being slightly spicy just wasn't his thing. But Christine, her girls, my dear hubby and myself really enjoyed it. Hubby liked it even better warmed up the next day for lunch. Slow Cooker Enchiladas From: Allrecipes.com Submitted by: AIMS312 Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 45 Minutes Ready In: 1 Hour 5 Minutes Yields: 6 servings "An old Mexican classic with a new twist. Anytime we have a potluck, I am asked to bring these. Can be made with chicken or beef." INGREDIENTS: 1 pound lean ground beef 10 (6 inch) corn tortillas, quartered 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix 1 1/4 cups water 1 (12 ounce) jar chunky salsa 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup 4 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend DIRECTIONS: 1. Crumble the ground beef into a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir until evenly browned. Add taco seasoning and water; simmer for 15 minutes over low heat. 2. In a medium bowl, stir together the salsa, cream of mushroom soup and cream of chicken soup. Mix in most of the cheese, reserving 3/4 cup for later. 3. Place a layer of tortillas covering the bottom of a slow cooker. Scoop a layer of the ground beef over that, and then spoon a layer of the cheese mixture. Repeat the layers until you run out of stuff, ending with a layer of tortillas on the top. Top with remaining cheese. 4. Cover, and cook on High for 45 minutes to 1 hour. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2005 Allrecipes.com We found this to be really good and agreed on a few modifications for next time! It could be made with lasagna noodles instead of the tortilla shells (that went mushy after sitting in the fridge overnight) and you could also leave out one of the soups as it was a bit runny...it also took more that the time it says to heat thru...I had it in the crockpot for over an hour and ended up turning on the oven and it was in there for almost an hour as well, I would say it would take 3 - 4 hours in the slow cooker/crockpot. We also thought it would be good minus the tortillas and make it like a hot dip with hard corn tortillas to scoop it up!
Also, just so you know here is what I'm like today....
Your Stress Level is: 93%
Wow! Not only are you extremely prone to stress, you're a total ball of stress these days. And while times are certainly tough right now, being stressed out is not making it easier. Your stress is effecting your relationships, career, and most importantly, you health.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Have a wonderful time with your company, Rebecca. The recipe you posted sounds great! And it sounds like you have some very good advice about child rearing - good luck!!

Rebel In Ontario said...

Thanks Wendy, today has been better but hubby is now off on holidays so I'm not the only one in the house to annoy! The food I posted about was really good, and you could really spice it up with hot taco seasoning and hot salsa, I used mild of both!