CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Pages

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

A wonderful weekend!

Lynn J and I had a wonderful weekend. We ate, we stitched and we ate some more. A few cocktails were involved and we accomplished a lot of stitching as well. Lynn even snapped a picture of Caleb trying to get in on the stitching action! It was very cute, if not hard on my pattern. And just before leaving Lynn took a great shot of Caleb and I so I thought I would share.

I promised Lynn I would post the recipes I used so here goes, unfortunately I didn't take any pictures so you will have to take our word that all of it was good. Hamburger Soup From: Taste of Home's, 2003 Quick Cooking Annual Recipes

1-1/2 pounds ground beef 2 cups diced onion 1 cup diced carrots 1 cup diced celery 3 garlic cloves, minced 3 can (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth 1 can (15 ounces) crushed tomatoes 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce 1/4 cup margarine 1/2 cup all-purpose flour

In a large saucepan or soup kettle, cook the beef, onions, carrots, celery and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in broth, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.

In another saucepan, melt margarine over medium-low heat. Stir in flour until smooth. Cook and stir for 6-8 minutes or until mixture turns golden brown. Carefully stir into soup. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

I took a few detours from this but it turned out well. I didn't have crushed tomato so I used diced and in the end added a can of tomato paste to get that tomato flavour. It also turned out a lot thicker than a soup, closer to a chili which was really good with the fresh buns I had purchased. Caleb LOVED it and is still helping me eat up the leftovers.

*****

I made a throw together version of these, I don't measure anymore and just throw it together but here is the recipe I found!

Land of Nod Cinnamon Buns From: All Recipes SUBMITTED BY: Shannon "Easy over night cinnamon buns that are gooey and rich." Original recipe yield: 20 servings PREP TIME: 10 Min COOK TIME: 25 Min READY IN: 15 Hrs

INGREDIENTS 20 unbaked frozen dinner rolls 1 cup brown sugar 1/4 cup instant vanilla pudding mix 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 3/4 cup raisins 1/3 cup butter, melted

DIRECTIONS Lightly grease a 10 inch Bundt cake pan. Place frozen rolls into pan and sprinkle with brown sugar, pudding mix, ground cinnamon and raisins. Pour melted butter over rolls. Cover with a clean, damp cloth and leave overnight at room temperature. In the morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bake rolls for 25 minutes, until golden brown. Turn rolls out onto a serving plate and serve warm.

*****
And last but not least was the cake I served with a slowcooker roast for supper. I put a piece in the bottom of a bowl, added a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of butterscotch sauce!

Apple Spice Snack Cake From: Taste of Home's, 2003 Quick Cooking Annual Recipes 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) spice cake mix 1 can (21 ounces) apple pie filling 2 eggs 2 tablespoons vegetable oil In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

*****

And now for the stitching news! Here is a picture of what I accomplished during the weekend. It is a pattern by Sisters & Best Friends called Happily Ever After and it is being stitched on Silkweaver's Spring Garden, 28ct Cashel Linen with Crescent Colours and Sampler Threads for my brother and his wife-2-be. No before shot, it was a brand new start.

4 comments:

Lynn said...

Awww wish I could have been there, next time hopefully for sure. Your boys are quite cute.

Wendy said...

Sounds like a fun weekend! Your recipes always sound so enticing.

And CONGRATULATIONS on finishing the Apache Wedding Blessing! It looks fantastic!!!

Rebel In Ontario said...

Lynn - Next time for sure! You should have done as your DH said and just got in the car and drove! But another one is in the planning stages so stay tuned!

Wendy - It was a fun weekend and thank you for the congrats on the wedding blessing, I just picked it up from the cleaners and it looks wonderful, I can't wait to send it out to my friend and see a picture of it framed on the wall.

Dani - tkdchick said...

Rebecca, you'll have to drop me a line via e-mail so that next time I'm zipping by on the 401 and I have the time I can stop by and meet you!

tkd_chick@hotmail.com